PEUGEOT 308. The eagerly awaited new Peugeot sedan was unveiled in March 2021 and intends to establish itself as a benchmark. Here is our complete file.
[Mis à jour le 30 mars 2021 à 08h41] The Peugeot 308 3rd generation was unveiled this Thursday, March 18 and gives way to the brand new identity with its new coat of arms. Overall, the sedan goes upmarket and its price according to the Argus should be a little higher with a basic version around 22,000 euros and a hybrid version around 30,000 euros. Precisely, the hybrid is at the heart of this Peugeot 308 with two versions offering a range of up to 60km in WLTP cycle depending on the brand. The Peugeot 308 taking advantage in particular of the evolution of the EMP2 platform to highlight electrification. Note, however, that for 2023, Peugeot announces a 100% electric version.
Inside, the Peugeot 308 also goes upmarket. With a larger wheelbase, comfort is accentuated for the passengers. A new infotainment system has been put in place and gives even more value to the brand’s i-Cockpit, a latest-generation hi-fi system gives an unprecedented sound environment and a new 10-inch touch screen, buttons i-toggles also fuel this comfort.
From the front, from the back, in profile and inside, the new Peugeot 308 is revealed in all its forms, here are the first photos!
What are the five facts to remember about the new Peugeot 308?
By presenting the new Peugeot 308 on March 18, Peugeot does not mark a big stylistic turn compared to its latest creations like the 208 but still claims a real move upmarket at all levels, here is what to remember in five points:
- The new logo. If you were not aware, know that Peugeot changed its logo at the end of February 2021 and is launching it on its compact sedan. The latter is installed within a specific and fairly wide grille and is relatively well put forward.
- A larger wheelbase. The dimensions of the 308 change and give it a more robust appearance with a 55mm higher wheelbase, 11mm longer in length and more compact with a 20mm lower height for greater visual dynamism.
- Technology at the service of the 308. The new Peugeot 308 obviously uses the i-Cockpit which is part of the brand’s DNA as indicated by the manufacturer. The latter offers a new evolution with a new infotainment system thanks in particular to a brand new compact steering wheel.
- Always more driving aids. Peugeot speaks of an “additional step” towards autonomous driving by presenting its sedan with in particular a semi-automatic lane change or even long-range blind spot monitoring (75 meters) and a rear traffic alert.
- Hybridization in the service of the 308. Two hybrid versions are offered by the brand at the launch of the model with a first HYBRID 225 e-EAT8 engine combining a 180 hp (132 kW) PureTech engine and an 81 Kw electric motor as well as a HYBRID 180 e-EAT8 version. combining a 150hp (110kW) PureTech engine and an 81 kW electric motor.
The new 308 will be manufactured in France near Mulhouse in the Haut-Rhin and will be marketed in Europe in the second half of 2021.
The price of the 308 was not revealed at its launch but according to our colleagues from Argus the launch price should be higher by 1000 euros compared to the old version. Therefore, the Peugeot 308 should be affordable around 22,000 euros for the base version and probably around 30,000 euros for the hybrid.
In hybrid, gasoline and even diesel, the new Peugeot 308 seeks to please everyone and offers a truly diverse range. Thanks to the evolution of the EMP2 platform, electrification is at the center of concerns with two hybrid engines, here is the range of engines:
- HYBRID 225 e-EAT8: PureTech engine of 180 hp (132 kW) and an electric motor of 81 kW attached to the e-EAT8 gearbox and up to 59 km of 100% electric autonomy
- HYBRID 180 e-EAT8 / combination of a 150hp (110kW) PureTech engine and an 81 kW electric motor attached to the e-EAT8 gearbox and up to 60 km of 100% electric autonomy
- PureTech 110 S&S BVM6,
- PureTech 130 S&S BVM6,
- PureTech 130 S&S EAT8.
- BlueHdi 130 S&S BVM6,
- BlueHdi 130 S&S EAT8
The hybrid is truly at the heart of the new Peugeot 308. Thanks to the evolution of the EMP2 platform, the 308 offers a wider spectrum of electrification. Although the model is not offered in a 100% electric version, two hybrid engines are directly presented by the manufacturer. The first is a 180 hp PureTech engine (132 kW associated with an 81 kW electric motor attached to the e-EAT8 gearbox). For this version, Peugeot announces up to 59 km of 100% electric autonomy. Second, the 308 is entitled to a 150hp (110kW) PureTech engine associated with an 81 kW electric motor attached to the e-EAT8 gearbox. This time, Peugeot offers up to 60 km of 100% electric autonomy.
If the hybrid takes up space in this new generation, Peugeot’s objective is to stay in touch or even overtake the Volkswagen Golf, which has been offering an electric version since 2015. The Mégane is also in the brand’s sights. lion since the latter will offer a 100% electric version by the end of the year.
No stylistic revolution, the Peugeot 308 was one of the last models not to have had its turn as for the 3008, 5008 or even the 208 and therefore tackles it for this 3rd generation without offering big surprises. The sedan incorporates the luminous signatures of the lion brand with fangs at the front and claws at the rear with LED technology. Its style evolves especially thanks to the new grille, much larger and imposing which highlights the new Peugeot logo. Indeed, and we probably should have started with that, the big change in style mainly concerns the integration of the brand new symbol of the manufacturer. Integrated at the front, on the tailgate or even on the rims, Peugeot has decided to put it well forward. The rear of the vehicle is a little more astonishing with two exhausts which interfere and which give a sporting aspect which contrasts with this version.
Inside, the Peugeot 308 goes upmarket with a new infotainment system that makes up the famous i-Cokpit made in Peugeot. A new 10-inch touch screen also comes to dress this new system. The new keys called i-toggles also give the impression of a real technological improvement. Thanks to a larger wheelbase, Peugeot also announces more comfort for passengers.
Peugeot is highlighting its technology in this new 308 and offers several equipment and new developments on driving aids, here is an exhaustive list:
- LED technology from the first level of finish on the lights
- Seven colors available such as Olivine green, Elixir red or Perla Nera black
- Compact heated steering wheel (optional)
- 10-inch digital screen from the active pack level
- Location dedicated to recharging the phone
- Two USB C sockets (charge and charge / data),
- Numerous storage, up to 34 liters indicates Peugeot
- “OK PEUGEOT” voice recognition command in natural language, allows access to all requests related to infotainment functions.
- Adaptive cruise control with Stop and Go function
- Help to maintain position in the lane
- Semi-automatic lane change
- Advance speed recommendation
- Adaptation of the speed in curves
- Long range blind spot monitoring (75 meters),
- Rear traffic warning (when reversing, warning of nearby danger),
- New 180 ° high definition rear view camera with integrated cleaning nozzle,
- 360 ° parking assistance thanks to 4 cameras (front, rear and side),
- Hands-free proximity start access,
- A fully defrostable heated windshield and heated steering wheel,
- Emergency call “E-call +” with information on the number of passengers and
- Location integrating the direction of the vehicle on the track,
- Indexing of the mirrors when engaging reverse gear.
- Automatic emergency braking (detects pedestrians and cyclists, day and night, from 7 km / h up to 140 km / h depending on version) with collision risk alert,
- Driver attention alert, to detect the vigilance of the driver on
- Extensive recognition of road signs (stop, no-go, overtaking ban, end of overtaking ban, etc.).
- Sunroof equipped with a velum
- Electric parking brake all versions
- The wraparound front seats can also both optionally have an 8-pocket pneumatic massage system with several differentiated programs
- AQS system (Air Quality System) which continuously monitors the quality of the air entering the passenger compartment
- FOCAL Premium Hi-Fi system with 10 speakers with exclusive patented technologies
The Peugeot 308 will also be in a station wagon version even if the latter was not announced at the same time as the sedan. Some information has nonetheless been released on this 2021 vintage with, as for its sedan, a slight increase in dimensions with now 4.60m long instead of 4.58 allowing in particular to increase the boot capacity. Overall, the 308 SW will take inspiration from the design of the 508 SW and should be released towards the end of the year.
While waiting for this 3rd generation of the Peugeot 308, the 2nd generation is obviously still available for sale. The finishes are however less numerous since the sporty version GTI has already disappeared from the range. You can find our full test drive of this Peugeot 308, in its restyled version released in 2017. Just click on the photo above.